Since prehistoric times the island was a trade port. During the Middle Ages, the knights of St John built a castle known as Castello Rosso, a hill of red rocks above the port.
In the First and Second World War Kastelorizo was bombarded and the destruction forced the residents to migrate abroad.
In 1948 the island joined the Greek State. Since then Kastelorizo slowly became a known tourist attraction.